We all know the ridiculous health benefits of a good night’s sleep, yet so many of us are sleep deprived;( Today I have a super easy tip for you to help you sleep better…
In the last 2 weeks, I have been on a major mission to clear out the clutter from my house.
Years of working as a designer has left me with countless bins of trims, fabric, and other design studio accessories that filled my mental and physical space. Having 2 young boys has also filled my small home with toys, missing toy pieces, excess toys, and more toys;) Generous family members overbuy, and the amount of “stuff” packed into my small ranch style home was making me feel stuck, uninspired, overwhelmed and guilty.
Clutter and extra “stuff” is a whole other story, but for the purposes of todays SLEEP TIP, here’s how it applies…
I recently sorted through and cleared out more than 30 bins of “stuff”. Yeah! I’ve carried them up from basement, moved furniture, emptied my garage, donated huge bags of things and rearranged rooms.
I have done actual PHYSICAL LABOR, for hours at a time, every day in my home. I have been moving my body in wierd ways to climb into my attic, I have been lifting, bending, sorting and throwing. I have worked for hours at a time and felt physically tired by the end of the day.
At night, my body feels tired. ACTUALLY TIRED!
and…I have not woken up throughout the night. In the morning, I wake up early and feel ready to do it all again.
I think sometimes we forget just how tiring physical labor is…and good for us.
If you are going for a 30 minute walk per day or for a 45 minute work out, thats great, but it just might not be enough to get you physically tired which is what actually helps us sleep deeply and restfully.
YES WE ARE ALL MENTALLY tired. Our eyes and our mind are tired and wired, but our physical bodies might not be.
Now be careful here, because as you know, SVT Does NOT LIKE to be PUSHED. So I never recommend pushing harder or longer or faster. I don’t recommend that you push yourself at the gym, or push yourself to stay up late to get something done or the like.
BUT I do think that physical labor like gardening at your own pace, or clearing bags, or any “work” that leaves you physically tired can be a very good thing to help you gain a good nights sleep.
Here are some ideas to help you get physically tired:
- A long slow hike. A full day outside walking, climbing, hiking, resting, eating amazing snacks, and enjoying fresh air. (For a few hours.)
- A good clearing out of the garage or basement. At your own pace or with help, but majorly getting rid of all the material things that you no longer need or that you think someone else might need more than you. (Here’s my favorite tip for clutter clearing: Have a specific person in mind to give the items to as you are clearing. When you know the person or family or people, and you know that they need it, it makes parting with your items a lot easier and brings your heart that JOY of giving that helps you heal your SVT.) In the last year we found a single mom with 3 kids who desperately needs things. Knowing that I am helping her out makes giving the toys away so much easier. They are going to a good home, not a landfill, it helps with my guilt of accumulating excess, and makes me happy to recycle and help out another family.
- Rearranging your rooms is another great way to get in some physical labor. Been wanting to change things around? Gently move or slide furniture around, clear things off shelves, part with excess clutter or accessories, tape up boxes and carry the boxes into the garage for donation. This is all work that will tire you out! Plus your room gets a makeover. Im a big fan of moving things around in general because it creates new energy. (When moving or lifting anything, don’t forget to use your core, NOT your back;)
- Sort through books, magazines, and old energy sucking paperwork .Do you have a “junk mail” pile? Go thru it! Fill those garbage bags and boxes with old unnecessary paper and then haul them out or burn them in your fireplace. I love to keep my old books, but maybe you can give half away and just keep the ones that you really love.
- Paint a wall or a piece of furniture. It’s great exercise to sand or refinish something. Remember how tired the karate kid was when he had to “Wax on Wax off?”.
- a 90-120 minute yoga routine with lots of stretching and resting in between.
- Swimming, laying in the sun, walking on the beach, then swimming again…
- Clearing out an attic, buying bins, organizing old memorabilia, labeling bins and throwing more bags of “stuff” away!
- Sorting the kitchen, getting rid of old pots and pans or gadgets you don’t use, Re-evualate and clear your kitchen space, Eating clean starts with a clean and organized kitchen. Fill those boxes and carry them outside! A clean and clear kitchen inspires you to eat better, or enjoy cooking more.
Here are some examples of what doesn’t work to get you physically tired:
- Working all day and being exhausted in general but not actually do any form of exercise.
- Doing computer work for most of the day, staring at your screen, checking Instagram, watching videos or tv and maybe walking for a half hour.
- Being too tired to work out or rest so you do neither and keep working.
There is a very important distinction between being MENTALLY tired and being PHYSICALLY tired.
Changing my diet, doing emotional healing healing work, moving my environment and more has long helped to improve my sleep. My days of having an SVT in the middle of the night are behind me. BUT, I haven’t slept this deeply or easily in a while and I owe it to good old fashion physical labor around the house.
While clearing clutter around the house has countless benefits, a physically tired body is one of them. I hope that you feel inspired to clutter clear for the sake of both the freedom you will feel from lightening your load, and the good sleep that being physically tired provides!
Love Laura, Your SVT Coach
Haven’t read my first foundational e-guide yet? Get The Heal SVT Naturally Approach HERE
Waiting patiently for me to finish The SVT PREVENTION Diet. Im almost done!!! Pre-order HERE.
Have a Heal SVT Naturally success story from trying some of my tips? Let me know, I’d love to share it on the blog for thousands of other SVT friends to become inspired by!